Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome to Choral Music!


 I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to those of you I have not had the pleasure of meeting, and share with you some of my goals for the choral music program this year.  This is my 15th year in education and am thrilled to be teaching a choral music program at Mark Keppel Visual & Performing Arts Magnet.  My passion is making music with students who love music as much as I do.  Teaching is a joy, and I hope you see that modeled in my words and actions.  I have a very exciting year planned for your students and I have selected music that will be both challenging and lots of fun!


            Chorus students will be exposed to a variety of choral literature ranging form classical to gospel to contemporary pop.  Students in this ensemble learn about the nuances of good singing such as proper posture and unity of vowel formation as well as the basics of vocal health.  Being part of an ensemble gives children a sense of pride, and provides them with the skills they need to work as part of a team.  All music students will also experience a variety of percussion instruments as well as the recorder in 3rd grade.

            In order to achieve excellence, all students must come to rehearsal with a serious attitude and a willingness to learn and grow as musicians.  Students will attend a weekly rehearsal during the school day in room 1217 for one entire trimester.  Student will need to have a music folder, preferably one with brads or three rings to hold the music secure.  Students will be assigned concert dress and/or costumes for the performance at a later date.   Please make sure your child is available on the date scheduled for our performance.

            I am confident that this will be a fun experience for all and I look forward to having your son or daughter in chorus.  Our time together should be both fun and challenging.  Music stimulates academic strength in all areas and enriches a child’s experiences at school and throughout life.  I am thrilled that all students at Mark Keppel have the opportunity to participate in a chorus program.

            Please read through the chorus contract posted with your child, so that they understand what the expectations are for this ensemble.  I am always here for you and your child so please do not hesitate to call or email me with any questions you might have about the chorus program.   Let's have a fabulous year!


Best regards, 

Jennifer Epstein
jepstein@gusd.net

No comments:

Post a Comment